Sunday, April 29, 2012

Meet "RoofRoof"

 I woke up the other morning, went outside to check the weather and what was in the middle of my yard. I huge pile of dirt... GOPHERS... So later in the day, I moved the pile of dirt. I got the hose and stuck it in the hole. Maisy was out watching my every move. I watched the hole fill, it took a while and all of a sudden I see water coming out of another hole next to the original hole. But more than water came out. I saw a puff of fur. Sure enough the water was pushing a little animal out of the hole. It got out and ran away. Of course Maisy wanted to catch it, and in reality I felt bad about almost drowning the little guy. So we got a box and put him in it. Poor thing was soaking wet and shaking like crazy. We gave him some leaves and dirt. He dug right in and got dry and warm. I looked up on line what it actually was and as I suspected it was a gopher. We fed it carrots and lettuce and he like playing in a paper towel roll we gave him. Miles got home from school and thought it was pretty cool. I explained to the kids that it's a wild animal and we needed to let it go. The kids convinced me to keep him overnight. That led to Maisy naming him Roof Roof. I have no idea where that came from, but I was a getting a little worried, the kids were now naming this little guy. The next day, after Miles got home from school we headed to the field near our house and let him go. He went right into the dirt and started to dig. I told the kids he was happy and would have lots of friends there. This seemed to make them happy.


Setting Roof Roof free.


Happily digging!

He dug this hole in about 3 minutes. 

We left a marker so we could go back and visit. 


1 comment:

Joanna said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never even seena gopher. They are cuter than I imagined :)